Food not only nourishes our body but also our soul. Cooking food from love not only provides us with sustenance but also helps us bond with the guests we welcome into our home. When food is prepared with love, care, and attention to detail, it creates a sense of comfort and warmth, which can make the dinner party unforgettable.
It's said that the energy with which we cook has a direct impact on the flavour of the food we prepare, and when love is involved in the equation, the food can taste even better. Not to mention, the time and effort put into preparing a homemade meal can convey a sense of thoughtfulness and gratitude towards the guests, which is sure to be appreciated.
Simply put, cooking with love sends a message of care, and that care can create an even more enjoyable experience for everyone at the dinner party. Head Chef Crystal from Kanvas, shares her homemade gnocchi recipe that comes in handy.
Gnocchi, a classic Italian dish made from potato and flour, is a crowd-pleaser that is sure to impress your dinner guests. And the best part? You can make it in advance, freeing up your time to focus on other aspects of hosting. Simply follow Chef Crystal's recipe for Parsnips and Yukon Potato Gnocchi, and you'll have a delicious and impressive dish that is perfect for any occasion.
While the gnocchi is not necessarily difficult to make, it does require some practice to perfect. As Chef Crystal points out, the secret to making the best gnocchi is to keep a light hand and not overwork the dough. This can take some trial and error, so don't be discouraged if your first attempt doesn't turn out exactly as planned. With some practice, you'll soon be making gnocchi like a pro.
But what about those of us who are not seasoned chefs? Don't worry, even if you're not a pro in the kitchen, you can still make impressive gnocchi that will wow your guests. Just follow Chef Crystal's step-by-step instructions, and you'll be amazed at how easy it is to make this delicious dish.
And if you're worried about making mistakes, don't be! Cooking is all about experimenting and learning from your mistakes. So don't be afraid to try new things and don't be discouraged if something doesn't turn out exactly as planned. The important thing is to have fun and enjoy the process.
In addition to being easy to prepare, gnocchi is also a versatile dish that can be customized to your liking. Whether you prefer classic potato gnocchi or want to experiment with different ingredients, there are countless variations of this dish that you can try.
The Secret Sauce:
Gnocchi pairs well with a variety of sauces, both creamy and tomato-based.
Here are a few suggestions for sauces you can make at home:
- Truffled wild mushroom sauce: Truffled wild mushroom sauce is a rich and flavourful sauce that is made with a combination of wild mushrooms, cream, and truffle oil. The sauce has a thick and creamy consistency and a deep, earthy flavour that comes from the combination of wild mushrooms and truffle oil.
- Tomato-based sauce: You can make a classic tomato sauce by sautéing garlic and onion in olive oil, adding canned tomatoes, and simmering until the sauce thickens. Add some fresh herbs like basil or oregano and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pesto: You can make a delicious pesto sauce by blending together fresh basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, and olive oil. This sauce is a great option for those who enjoy a fresh and herby flavour.
- Brown Butter Sage Sauce: This is a simple but delicious sauce that pairs perfectly with gnocchi. Simply melt butter in a pan over medium heat until it starts to brown, then add fresh sage leaves and cook until fragrant. Drizzle over the cooked gnocchi and serve.
- Creamy Alfredo Sauce: This rich and creamy sauce is a great option for those who love a decadent dish. To make it, melt butter in a pan over medium heat, then whisk in heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and garlic. Cook until the sauce has thickened and is heated through.
- Arrabiata Sauce: This spicy tomato sauce is perfect for those who enjoy a little heat. To make it, sauté garlic and red pepper flakes in olive oil, then add canned tomatoes and simmer until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
These are just a few suggestions, but feel free to experiment with different flavours and ingredients to find your perfect gnocchi sauce!
And with Chef Crystal's recipe for Truffled Wild Mushroom sauce coming soon, you'll have even more options to choose from.
So what are you waiting for? Whip up a batch of Chef Crystal's Parsnips and Yukon Potato Gnocchi, light some Bluum Maison candles, and get ready to impress your guests with your culinary skills and impeccable taste in home decor. Don't forget to tag us on Instagram with your creations!
Parsnips and Yukon Potato Gnocchi Recipe
• 2-3 large Yukon Gold potatoes (1lbs)
• 1 -2 small parsnip (1⁄2 lbs)
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tsp of kosher salt
• 2 egg yolks
• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Wash, peel potatoes and parsnip skin and place in a pot of water completely submerged at add 1 tsp kosher salt.
2. Bring it to a boil and cook potatoes until tender, about 30 minutes.
3. While they are still hot, using a ricer, press the potatoes right onto the surface you're working on. Spread the mashed potatoes into a single even layer.
4. Drizzle the single layer of potatoes with the yolks, trying to get as much as the potatoes as you can.
5. Using a fork, work the yolks into the potatoes, just enough so you don't clearly see the stream of yolks on the potatoes.
6. Using a fine mesh sieve or sifter dust the potatoes with the salt and the flour into the potatoes.
7. Knead the mixture until the dough is smooth and soft to touch without being sticky. Be careful not to overwork the dough or it’ll become tough.
8. Cut the dough into 8 then working with one quarter of dough at a time, shape them into 1-inch-thick logs. Cut each log into 1-2 cm pieces.
9.Bring another pot of water to boil with remaining tsp of salt. Add the gnocchi pieces 5 -8 piece at time to the water.
10. Once they are float to the surface, they are cooked. Remove from water with a strainer or slotted spoon. Toss in olive to prevent sticking.
If you want to keep impressing your guests with delicious signature cocktails, be sure to sign up for our newsletter! You'll receive even more mouth-watering recipes straight to your inbox, as well as tips and tricks for hosting the perfect dinner party. Don't miss out on the chance to elevate your hosting game and become the ultimate host. Sign up now and get ready to impress your guests at your next event!