Executive Chef Crystal from Kanvas shares her recipe for gnocchi made from scratch. Gnocchi is a favourite when hosting dinner parties because it is easy to prepare and can be made in advance. These gnocchi are simply delicious and sure to please your dinner guests.
Making gnocchi does take some practice so we'd recommend you practice this recipe on your own a few times before serving to guests. The secret to making the best gnocchi is to make sure not to over mix the dough and to keep a light hand when rolling gnocchi into balls.
Next week we'll be sharing Chef Crystal's recipe for Truffled Wild Mushroom sauce to go along with this gnocchi.
Parsnips and Yukon Potato Gnocchi Recipe
• 2-3 large Yukon Gold potatoes (1lbs)
• 1 -2 small parsnip (1⁄2 lbs)
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tsp of kosher salt
• 2 egg yolks
• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Wash, peel potatoes and parsnip skin and place in a pot of water completely submerged at add 1 tsp kosher salt.
2. Bring it to a boil and cook potatoes until tender, about 30 minutes.
3. While they are still hot, using a ricer, press the potatoes right onto the surface you're working on. Spread the mashed potatoes into a single even layer.
4. Drizzle the single layer of potatoes with the yolks, trying to get as much as the potatoes as you can.
5. Using a fork, work the yolks into the potatoes, just enough so you don't clearly see the stream of yolks on the potatoes.
6. Using a fine mesh sieve or sifter dust the potatoes with the salt and the flour into the potatoes.
7. Knead the mixture until the dough is smooth and soft to touch without being sticky. Be careful not to overwork the dough or it’ll become tough.
8. Cut the dough into 8 then working with one quarter of dough at a time, shape them into 1-inch-thick logs. Cut each log into 1-2 cm pieces.
9.Bring another pot of water to boil with remaining tsp of salt. Add the gnocchi pieces 5 -8 piece at time to the water.
10. Once they are float to the surface, they are cooked. Remove from water with a strainer or slotted spoon. Toss in olive to prevent sticking.
That is how to make gnocchi in a nutshell. Keep an eye out for Chef Crystal's sauce that compliment these melt-in-your mouth gnocchi. To receive new recipes, please sign up for our newsletter below!