Executive Chef Crystal Powell of Kanvas created this amazing Truffled Wild Mushroom Gnocchi recipe that is simple enough for beginner cooks but still delicious enough for professionals.
This dish requires ingredients that can easily be found in the grocery store and is perfect for a dinner party! Gnocchi tastes amazing because it's soft and chewy with a light texture. It absorbs flavours well so if you mix your gnocchi in a sauce or season it before cooking it will make for an even tastier dish!
Chef Crystal's Parsnips and Yukon Potato Gnocchi is a perfect dish to showcase your culinary skills and delight your guests. The recipe is easy to follow and can be customized to suit your taste. You can also pair it with Chef Crystal's upcoming recipe for Truffled Wild Mushroom sauce, which is sure to take this dish to the next level.
What is Gnocchi?Gnocchi is a traditional Italian dish made with potatoes, flour, and egg yolks. It's commonly served with sauce or in soup but can also be enjoyed solo. If you're up for making your gnocchi from scratch, we shared the recipe on how to make the Parsnips and Yukon Potato Gnocchi that goes along with this sauce.
Products Shown: Candle and Cloth Set
Mushrooms are the Perfect Choice
Mushrooms are a tasty addition to any meal! They are very versatile and can be used in many dishes. Since gnocchi is made with potatoes mashed together with flour, egg yolks, and salt it has quite a similar flavour profile to gnocchi that mushrooms could easily complement. The flavour of the mushroom compliments the gnocchi perfectly- neither one is overpowering which makes this recipe a great dish for those that are not too fond of mushrooms.
The Decadence of Truffle Oil
Adding truffle oil to this gnocchi recipe is a great way to elevate the flavour and make it feel extra special. Truffle oil is a type of olive oil that has been infused with truffles, which are a type of mushroom that is known for its intense flavour. Truffles can be expensive, but a little goes a long way, so you don't need to use them very much to get the benefits. Chef Crystal uses White Truffle oil from Kingston Olive Oil Co. who's locally found in Kingston, Ontario.
Can I use Dried Herbs instead of Fresh?
Dried herbs can be substituted for fresh herbs in a recipe but the flavour won't be as potent. If you have fresh herbs on hand then use them! If not, then dried herbs will work just fine. Just remember to use less of them because they are more potent than fresh herbs.
Top your Pasta with Cheese
Cheese is a great topping for pasta because it provides a salty and savoury flavour. It also helps to thicken the sauce and makes it creamier. You can use any type of cheese you like but Chef Powell recommends using freshly grated Parmesan cheese or Asiago Cheese.
The Perfect Wine Pairing
As wine lovers over here, we love to have wine with our pasta. When serving creamy pasta, the wine we would recommend are wines that are fruity and dry. This dish is perfect to pair with a chardonnay or pinot grigio! Here is a selection of Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio wines here.
- Mission Hill Reserve - Chardonnay 2019, Okanagan Valley British Columbia, Canada
- G. Marquis, The Silver Line Niagara Stone Road Vineyard - Chardonnay 2019, VQA Niagara On The Lake, Canada
- Bollini - Pinot Grigio 2019, Italy
- Sprucewood Shores - Pinot Grigio 2020, Lake Erie North Shore, Canada
Create the Right Ambiance for your Dinner Guests
As always, it's not only about the food but the atmosphere you create for your dinner guests. Create a warm and inviting ambiance for your dinner guests using these ideas below!
- Bluum Maison O’Noir Tapered Candle Holders can be the perfect addition to your dinner party ambiance. The warm glow of the candles can set a relaxing mood, while the elegant design of the candlesticks and holders adds a touch of sophistication to your table setting.
- Put on some relaxing music (our favourite playlist)
- Set the table with our beautifully made Maison Linen Napkins
And what's better than cooking a delicious meal? Enjoying it with friends and family over the warm glow of Bluum Maison candles. So gather your loved ones, light up the candles, and indulge in the amazing flavours and textures of this homemade gnocchi dish. Don't forget to share your culinary creations with us on Instagram by tagging us and using #BluumMaison.
Truffled Wild Mushroom Gnocchi Recipe
Make approx. 4 potions
• 2 cup Portobello Mushroom
• 1 cup Cremini mushrooms
• 1⁄2 cup King Oyster mushrooms
• 1⁄2 cup Shitake mushrooms
• 2 tsp fresh chopped thyme herbs
• 2 – 3 piece roasted garlic cloves
• 1 tsp freshly chopped rosemary herbs
• 2 tbsp white wine
• 1 tsp white truffle oil
• 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter (soft)
• 1⁄2 shallots (medium diced)
• 1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
• 1 – 2 tsp kosher salt
• 2 -3 cups 35% cream
• 1 tbsp grated parmesan or asiago cheese
1. In a heated large skillet or sauté pan add the oil; sweat shallots and garlic to they are translucent. Stir in the wine and cook until nearly evaporated.
2. Then add mushrooms, herbs and unsalted butter. Cook over medium heat for about 10-12mins or until mushroom caramelized. Add the 35% cream and keep on low heat.
3. Stir in gnocchi, make sure it is lightly toasted and browned around the edges. Season with kosher salt to taste, drizzle 1 tsp of white truffle oil and grated parmesan cheese to serve.
If you want to keep impressing your guests with delicious recipes, be sure to sign up for our newsletter! You'll receive even more mouth-watering recipes straight to your inbox, as well as tips and tricks for hosting the perfect dinner party. Don't miss out on the chance to elevate your hosting game and become the ultimate host. Sign up now and get ready to impress your guests at your next event!